What Type of Family Visas Are There in Florida?

What Type of Family Visas Are There in Florida?

Receiving an immigration sponsorship from a family member is one of the easiest ways for non-citizens to settle in the U.S, but if you’re unable to qualify for sponsorship, there are a multitude of ways that you can earn a United States visa. In order to accurately apply for the visa that works best for you, you will need to understand the different types of visas available. Once you know about the types of family visas you can acquire in Florida, starting the immigration process in Florida will seem like less of a challenge.

Florida Family Immigration Options

Since every family is unique, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) provides a number of visa options. They include:

K-1 Fiancé Visa

If you don’t have immigration status, you can acquire a K-1 Fiancé visa, provided your fiancé is a United States citizen. This allows you to travel to the U.S. and live with your spouse as you plan for your wedding. Some of the requirements you must meet include:

  • You must pass a medical exam
  • Once you receive your K-1 Fiancé visa, you must come to Florida or the U.S. within 180 days.
  • You must get married to your fiancé within 90 days of coming to the country.

Violating or failing to meet any of the above requirements can make you an unlawful immigrant resulting in deportation.

K-2 Visa

If you hold a K-1 Fiancé visa, the K-2 visa may permit you to bring your children to the United States until they have an immigrant visa. To qualify for the K-2 visa, the child must be below 21 years and an unmarried child of the K-1 holder. To obtain the K-2 visa, you have to meet the requirements of the K-1 visa. Since the K-2 visa is subject to the K-1 visa holder, the K-2 visa holder will be deported if the K-1 applicant is declared an unlawful immigrant.

K-3 Visa

The K-3 visa is available for couples who meet and marry overseas. For instance, if you get married to a non-citizen in Asia, the K-3 visa will permit your spouse to live with you in the United States. If this is the route your spouse takes, make sure that you have filed an I-130 petition on behalf of your partner.

K-4 Child of Spouse Visa

If a K-3 visa holder has children, each child can receive a K-4 visa. Like their parents, the children can stay in the U.S. until the immigration visas get approved. The K-4 visa relies on the compliance of the parent or the K-3 visa holder.

After obtaining a family preference visa, you may be eligible to petition for adjustment of status, which permits you to receive a green card or become a lawful permanent resident.

Schedule a Consultation with a Florida Immigration Attorney

If you are a lawful permanent resident or a U.S. citizen seeking to help your loved ones obtain family visas, Bennett Law Center can offer you the guidance you’re looking for. We will evaluate your situation and help you understand whether you qualify for the visas. We will help simplify the process and increase your chances of getting the desired outcome. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with a Florida immigration attorney.