If you are a foreign national and wish to enter the United States, you will need a visa in many cases. However, scores of different visas are available for different purposes, and navigating the system can be confusing.

A Groveland visa lawyer could help you make sense of the complicated rules regarding visas. We could walk you through the process and suggest the best document category for your purposes. Once you are in the United States, our determined immigration attorneys could help you get a visa extension or change your status if necessary. Contact our team to learn more.

What is the Visa Process?

People who intend to enter the country temporarily usually must file a Form DS-160 and undergo an interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where they reside. Some countries participate in the Visa Waiver Program, and their citizens do not require a visa except in specific circumstances.

Foreign nationals from non-participating countries could apply for a B visa, which allows them to travel in the U.S. for up to 180 days for business, tourism, family visits, and to seek medical care. Students and people enrolled in cultural exchange programs could apply for an F, M, or J visa. Temporary or seasonal workers could enter the U.S. if their prospective employer has a Department of Labor certification allowing them to hire foreign workers for temporary positions. Several different visas are available in this category.

A Groveland attorney is familiar with the requirements for each visa category. Our legal professionals could advise you on which visa is best for your purposes and what documentation is required to support a successful application.

Exceptions to the Visa Waiver Program

Citizens of countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program usually do not require a visa to enter the U.S. for fewer than 90 days for tourism or business purposes. Citizens of most participating countries must have an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (“ESTA”) approval before they travel.

However, sometimes a traveler might require a visa, even if their country of citizenship participates in the Visa Waiver Program, such as those traveling as treaty traders or investors and fiancés of U.S. citizens and their children. Spouses of green card holders must also have a visa to travel to the U.S. during the processing of their applications to become Lawful Permanent Residents.

Additionally, some people are inadmissible to the United States because they have violated a visa in the past or have a criminal record. Waivers of inadmissibility are available in some cases. A credible Groveland attorney could help an individual or family member who needs a visa to enter the U.S. temporarily or requires an inadmissibility waiver.

Obtaining an Immigrant Visa

Visas that entitle the holder to Lawful Permanent Resident status, also called a Green Card, can be more challenging to obtain and are only available to foreign nationals under specific circumstances. Prospective immigrants typically must have the sponsorship of an employer or family member.

U.S. citizens can sponsor their spouse, children, parents, and siblings to enter the country permanently. Employers can sponsor skilled workers and professionals. Some people of extraordinary means and those who are willing to invest significant sums in U.S. businesses to create jobs may not need a sponsor.

The processing times for these visas can be lengthy but vary depending on multiple factors. A Groveland attorney could provide a rough estimate of the potential timeframe and assist with the visa application to avoid unnecessary delays.

Turn to a Groveland Visa Attorney for Assistance

Getting a visa is a multi-step process, and there are many ways for it to go wrong. Enlisting the help of a legal professional could save you time and money in the long run.

A Groveland visa lawyer from the Bennett Law Center could provide valuable assistance throughout the process. Reach out to our dedicated team today.